[OpenAFS-devel] Re: Performance single proc. vers. SMP

Hartmut Reuter reuter@rzg.mpg.de
Tue, 06 Aug 2002 18:00:26 +0200

Some more results and details:

My laptop runs SuSE-7.3 with kernel 2.4.10. I use a ramdisk-cache of 16
MB in both cases (SMP and single processor kernel).

To make sure it is really the AFS code which makes things slow I mounted
AFS via NFS on /mnt (exported by a userland-nfsserver from a fast SMP
machine).
I get a read performance of 4.5 MB/s which is only slightly lower than
AFS access with the SMP kernel, but more than twice what I get reading
directly from AFS with the single processor kernel.

My feeling is that earlier versions of OpenAFS were faster with the
single processor kernel. I must do some more tests to verify this.

Any comments?

Hartmut