[OpenAFS-devel] Progress with OpenAFS-1.2.8 on HP-UX 11.22 on IA64

Douglas E. Engert deengert@anl.gov
Fri, 20 Dec 2002 11:18:40 -0600

Srikanth Vishwanathan wrote:

> Replacing alpha semaphores with beta semaphores should be pretty simple.
> The only functions needed are:
>
> b_owns_sema
> b_psema
> b_vsema
>
> In fact, it makes the implementation a lot simpler by getting rid of the
> hash tables. OpenAFS already uses beta semaphores in Rx.
>
> I found this doc that talks about beta semaphores and sleep/wakeup
> synchronization.
>
> http://atwnt911.external.hp.com/dspp/files/unprotected/Drivers/Docs/Refs/ddGuide/Chap04.pdf

Thanks for the reference.

The problem is the alpha semaphore this is in the current code is for the "VM Empire".
Earlier versions of HP UX had four Empires. Three of the four have been replaced
in later versions of HP-UX.

The AFS routines in osi_vnodeops.c where using the vmemp_lockx and friends to lock
on the VM Empire. The question is not so much how to use a beta semaphore, but
rather what beta semaphore is the system using instead for the VM?

--

 Douglas E. Engert  <DEEngert@anl.gov>
 Argonne National Laboratory