[OpenAFS-devel] errno errors building on redhat phoebe beta

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Wed, 25 Dec 2002 11:18:58 -0800

Matthew Miller <mattdm@mattdm.org> writes:

> Building openafs 1.2.8 on the new Red Hat beta results in a bunch of
> errors about "errno", which I believe stem from the "extern int errno"
> declarations. (When including errno.h should be sufficient.) I'd work in
> this a bit more, but hey, it's Christmas. :)

The latest glibc broke all code that uses extern int errno.  Including
errno.h now *has* to be done instead.  There's a bunch of turmoil on the
Debian devel lists about it, since there are a lot of packages that do the
wrong thing, but the ISO C standard says that glibc's approach is
legitimate and extern int errno declarations aren't allowed.