[OpenAFS-devel] RX abort packets, and client sitting in "waiting for busy volume" state

Neulinger, Nathan nneul@umr.edu
Fri, 1 Feb 2002 09:58:24 -0600

(I've been doing alot of diagnosis attempting to improve our AFS cell, =
that's why the stream of lots of these notes.)

We just had a client start to experience continual 'waiting for busy =
volume' messages against two volumes on a server that is not very =
loaded. I've got a network trace of communications w/ that =
client+server, and what's going on is the client is sending two =
FetchStatus requests (one against each volume), and the server is =
sending back a RX abort packet. Nothing but that over and over again.

Any idea what could be causing this?

In the fileserver logs, I'm not seeing anything specific to that client.

We're going to be upgrading file servers to more recent code very =
shortly, if there is any instrumentation y'all think it would be worth =
adding before I do that, please speak up, cause now is the time I can =
add it reasonably. (We're clearing servers then upgrading os and afs =
install.)

-- Nathan