[OpenAFS-devel] afsUUID uuid

SAURAV LAHIRI saurav_lahiri@yahoo.com
Sun, 10 Feb 2002 10:56:43 +0000 (GMT)

Hi,
   I was going through the source code for afs_server.c . I do not
understand the real significance of afsUUID uuid.
for instance afs_FindServer
    if ( !uuid)
    {
        i=SHash(aserver)
        and then a search is done in afs_srvAddrs Hashtable
    }
    if (uuid)
    {
        i = afs_uuid_hash(uuidp) % NSERVERS;
        and then a search is done in afs_Servers Hashtable.

    }
    I dont understand since all the servers are already there in
afs_Servers HashTable why do we need a seperate Hash Function. and a
seperate  hash Table. We could have easily have given each of the
servers a uuid. And the possibility of certain servers not having uuid
would not have arise.
Can some one explain
Thanks and Regards
Saurav