[OpenAFS-devel] afsUUID uuid

SAURAV LAHIRI saurav_lahiri@yahoo.com
Mon, 11 Feb 2002 06:48:26 +0000 (GMT)

 --- Derrick J Brashear <shadow@dementia.org> wrote: > On Sun, 10 Feb
2002, [iso-8859-1] SAURAV LAHIRI wrote:

> > Hi,
> >    I was going through the source code for afs_server.c . I do not
> > understand the real significance of afsUUID uuid.
> > for instance afs_FindServer
>
> []
>
> >     I dont understand since all the servers are already there in
> > afs_Servers HashTable why do we need a seperate Hash Function. and
> > seperate  hash Table. We could have easily have given each of the
> > servers a uuid. And the possibility of certain servers not having
> uuid
> > would not have arise.
> > Can some one explain

Hi,

Derrick reply :
Not all AFS versions support UUIDs. You don't arbitrarily decide the
 server has a UUID.

My query:
  How does one decide that a server has UUIDs . Is it that only file
servers have a uuid. It seems that when trying to locate volume
location servers one uses a ip and when trying to locate a file server
one uses uuid.
Is it right?
Thanks and Regards
Saurav Lahiri