[OpenAFS-devel] How can I use rsh to connect with AFS

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 00:36:24 -0500

>> That would be because (a) Kerberos V4 doesn't have ticket forwarding, and
>> (b) these things likely predate AFS's use of Kerberos.
>
>Then how does this work (sshd_config):
>	KerberosAuthentication yes
>	KerberosOrLocalPasswd yes
>	AFSTokenPassing yes
>	KerberosTicketCleanup no
>for [Open]SSH's --with-kerberos4 / --with-afs ?

I believe that it passes the secret bits of the token over, but at least
it's doing it over an encrypted pipe (and hopefully after it's verified
the remote end).

>When you say Kerberos V4 doesn't have ticket forwarding, do you mean that
>Kerberos can only do authentication with one's TGT, and then one would
>have to manually obtain other Kerberos tickets?  Or do you mean no TGT
>passing either?

Here's the basic problem.

"Forwarding" really means two things - passing the ticket plus
session key to a remote machine, and changing the IP address in
the ticket to match that of the remote machine.  The first isn't
that hard to do (but requires support from the protocol); the second
is not possible in V4.  It just so happens that AFS is an application
that ignores the IP address in the V4 ticket, so that happens to
work.  But no other V4 services will.

>If one used klog.krb, and the kerberized (V4) r* utilities, and afslog on
>the other end, would this be more secure than the AFS r* utilities?

Well ... you couldn't run afslog on the remote end, because the TGT wouldn't
cross the V4 r* connection.  You'd have to kinit/klog.krb again.  At that
point ... hell, why don't you just run V5?  You'll get everything you want,
and you'll be glad you did it in the long run.

--Ken