[OpenAFS-devel] A few questions about the current Linux implementation of the AFS client

Matt Peterson matt@caldera.com
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 12:27:17 -0700

Hi,

I have posted to this list a couple times, but for the most part I have been
a silent observer.

I have been interested in OpenAFS since it was first released, but I have not
been able to really evaluate the implementation until lately.  Having spent
countless hours installing and using OpenAFS I have made the general
observation that AFS would be a superior filesystem to NFS and would an
attractive replacement for Linux users if it were not for the following:

   1 - AFS Server installation is a real pain.  Granted, there is very good
       documentation, but the process is lengthy, complex, unautomated and
       frought with pitfalls.

   2 - The AFS management tools (kas, vos, pts, fs, and friends) are foriegn
       to and unwelcome to most Unix users.

   3 - The AFS Client implementation on Linux is poorly designed and very
       unstable to the point that reboots become common place.

   4 - Marginal use and support PAM based authentication, and session and
       management, and password

The purpose of this email is not to point out the problems of OpenAFS, but
rather to get some information about the plans developers have to improve the
implementation -- specifically the Linux implementation.  I would also be
interested in some statement about how willing OpenAFS is to the possiblity
of a development branch of CVS that would allow more agressive development
that what is currently taking place.

By agressive development, I mean how much interest would there be in the
following:

   1 - CVS repository and access for developers willing to work on real
       installation and setup functionality for the server components.

   2 - CVS repository and access for AFS enhanced replacements (or wrappers)
       for GNU binutils (ls, chown, chmod, df du, etc).   What about KDE
       KPropsDialog Plugin that offers AFS specific "right click"
       functionality in KDE Konqueror.

   3 - Major revamp of the Linux Client to replace the "black hole syscall"
       design with a more workable design that uses kernel_thread() instead
       of processes that are buried in syscalls.  AFS is started by mount and
       stopped with umount like every other sane filesystem.  (There would be
       no need for a /etc/rc.d/init.d/afs startup script).  Dynamic
       configuration could be supplied via mount parameters. The proc would
       be used to provide status and additional runtime configuration.  (i.e
       cat /proc/fs/afs/CellSrvDB or cat /usr/vice/etc/CellSrvDB >
       /proc/fs/afs/CellSrvDB).

   4 - PAM code could be modified to provide better authentiction, password
       and session control.

Is there interest in maintaining this type of development on OpenAFS, or is
OpenAFS in "maintenance mode" only?  If there is interest, how does one go
about getting involved?

Regards,

--
Matt Peterson