[OpenAFS-devel] A few questions about the current Linux implementation of the AFS client

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 18 Jan 2002 15:28:21 -0500 (EST)

To be clear, I'm speaking for me only and this doesn't represent the
opinion of the Council of Elders, the OpenAFS Gatekeepers, Carnegie Mellon
University, or anyone but me.

On Fri, 18 Jan 2002, Matt Peterson wrote:

> The purpose of this email is not to point out the problems of OpenAFS, but
> rather to get some information about the plans developers have to improve the
> implementation -- specifically the Linux implementation.  I would also be
> interested in some statement about how willing OpenAFS is to the possiblity
> of a development branch of CVS that would allow more agressive development
> that what is currently taking place.

No patches have been refused, literally everything passed to us has
either been taken or very specific comments about how to make it suitable
have been offered. The only thing stopping aggressive development is lack
of developers.

[]

> Is there interest in maintaining this type of development on OpenAFS, or is
> OpenAFS in "maintenance mode" only? If there is interest, how does one
> go about getting involved?

Implement stuff. Send it to openafs-bugs@openafs.org. I assume you've not
been following development effort thus far?

Truthfully I favor a mechanism for developers to have direct access to the
source tree, but CVS is really crappy in that it offers no way for you to
have a private branch that can't taint the mainline, and without that it
means we have to know and trust every developer who we give access to the
tree.