[OpenAFS-devel] Can I use AFS file system without authenrication?

Brandon S. Allbery KF8NH allbery@ece.cmu.edu
22 Jan 2002 09:53:36 -0500

On Tue, 2002-01-22 at 09:09, Kevin Coffman wrote:
> > The problem I see is that the UNIX file permissions are ignored under AFS.
>
> I don't think this statement is true.  UNIX file permissions are
> applied in addition to the AFS ACLs.  Turn off the read bits for
> a file in AFS and try to read it.

The owner rwx permissions are used, and possibly suid and sgid if
enabled in the client; but they apply to anyone who has access to the
file via AFS ACLs.  Group and Other permissions are ignored.

--
brandon s. allbery   [os/2][linux][solaris][japh]  allbery@kf8nh.apk.net
system administrator      [WAY too many hats]        allbery@ece.cmu.edu