[OpenAFS-devel] LINUX: ./configure fails if /usr/src/linux/include isnt found!

Harald Barth haba@pdc.kth.se
Sun, 27 Jan 2002 23:10:30 +0100 (CET)

> But kernel source and headers shouldn't be in there anyways..
> please see..
> http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue62/tag/4.html

This is just one of a zillion opinions about how that should be
organized.

> I was able to get around this with
> ./configure --with-linux-kernel-headers=/usr
> on my debian install.

The article above says: It is configurable, it is OK.

> However, other users might be tempted to make a sym link
> from /usr/src/linux to their linux sources.. a very very bad
> idea that could lead to a whole host of problems down the
> road when upgrading the kernel.

The kernel sources distributed as linux-x.y.z.tar.gz unpack as a tree
rooted in linux/, a very very bad idea ...

> Can someone modify the ./configure script to not try
> looking in /usr/src/linux for kernel headers.

My suggestion to the openafs maintainers: The day when kernel sources
unpack in linux-x.y.z/ instead of linux/ I'd be happy to see that
change.

Harald.