[OpenAFS-devel] Wiki FAQ

Ted Anderson ota@transarc.com
Thu, 31 Jan 2002 09:12:13 -0500 (EST)

On Tue, 29 Jan 2002 00:55:23 +0100 (CET) Harald Barth <haba@pdc.kth.se> wrote:
> > Someone has recently started importing the latest version of the FAQ
> > into the AFSLore wiki, apparently with the intent of updating it.
> > If you're interested in contributing to that effort, take a look at
> > http://grand.central.org/twiki/bin/view/AFSLore/AFSFrequentlyAskedQuestions
>
> The document is a quite big to be handled as one wikidocument and
> future may show that it needs to be cut into pieces for easier
> editing, but throwing it into the wiki can only improve the overall
> state of the FAQ.

Daniel Clark did the first cut at formatting the Paul's FAQ for Wiki and
it is clear that it needs to be broken up.  I have a couple of questions
before we get started though, and I thought I'd air them here.

It would be nice to be able to extract the (improved) text from the Wiki
and submit it as an update to the FAQ to the traditional fora.  Is this
a good plan and are there formatting conventions that we should maintain
with the Wiki version to make this as easy as possible?

I guess the big section numbers make decent breaking points so this
would give us (with allowances for WikiWords): PreambleFAQ, GeneralFAQ,
UsingFAQ, AdministrationFAQ, MoreInformationFAQ, AboutTheFAQ, and
BibliographyFAQ.

But a couple of adjustments to this are possible and even desireable.
One is that the bibliography doesn't contain questions and would be fine
just as Bibliography or References, if those were WikiWords.  So we
could go with BibliographyAFS, or BiblioGraphy, or FurtherReading, or
OtherSources.  We could also shorten 3 & 4 to AdminFAQ and MoreInfoFAQ
(or ResourcesFAQ).  Also "FAQ" could be "Qs".

To be concrete let me suggest:
    0 -> PreambleFAQ
    1 -> GeneralFAQ
    2 -> UsageFAQ
    3 -> AdminFAQ
    4 -> ResourcesFAQ
    5 -> AboutTheFAQ
    6 -> FurtherReading

We could also move this discussion to info-afs or to a Wiki page, I
suppose, say MetaFAQ.  But this is easiest for now.

Comments welcome,
Ted