[OpenAFS-devel] OpenAFS on *BSD platforms

Nickolai Zeldovich kolya@MIT.EDU
Sun, 14 Jul 2002 12:08:23 -0400

> OpenBSD does not support kernel threads.

That's true of the default pthread library on OpenBSD.  However,
I believe you can use the linuxthreads package on OpenBSD which
uses rfork() to create processes that share the address space,
file descriptors, etc, giving you the ability to overlap blocking
system calls.

>                                 Linux, solaris, and I think freebsd
> support kernel threads; so should have an advantage here.

FWIW, FreeBSD is in the same position: the default pthread library
provides entirely user-space threads, but linuxthreads is often
used to work around that.

-- kolya