[OpenAFS-devel] ppc_linux22 still working incorrectly on Debian

Atro Tossavainen Atro.Tossavainen@Helsinki.FI
Fri, 28 Jun 2002 09:08:03 +0300 (EEST)

Chas,

> . after afs starts, do you see /afs mounted?  (what does df show exactly,
>   and did you create a /afs mount point?)

The specific error message (after a truckload of "lost contact with ..."
messages to the system log) is that /afs cannot be mounted, so df
doesn't show /afs, and yes, the mount point is there.

I have been administering Transarc AFS here for two years (even took
the admin class in Pittsburgh) so am not a 100% newbie to AFS. :-)

I am finding it difficult to build a ppc kernel that I would be able to
boot.  (I am pretty much a complete newbie to Linux on ppc, however.)

The two Macs we have running Linux so far are a 6100/60 and a 7300/166.
Apparently, the former requires a special NuBus-patched kernel so I'm
stuck with running the 2.4.5 that came with it, and the latter is still
running the 2.2.19 that came with the standard issue Debian 2.2r6 ppc
as any kernels I have created so far are failing to boot (via BootX).

> . do you see entries in your messages file about not being able to
>   contact particular servers?

Yes, it can't contact either of our db servers, 128.214.58.174,
128.214.88.114.

> . what cell are you attempting to join?

Our own, biocenter.helsinki.fi, which has the two db servers mentioned
above.

> . right after starting afs, look at dmesg and see what is going on
>   there.  any 'strange' message from afs?

Nothing that didn't appear on screen already.

> . is afsd still running after you start afs?  (ps -ef | egrep afsd just
>   to be sure.  it rarely segfaults but it happens)

It is.

> . what is the filesystem type for your cache partition (i dont know
>   anything about debian really, do they use reiserfs?)

It's ext2.  I always use ext2 for the cache partition on Linux.

--
Atro Tossavainen (Mr.)               / The Institute of Biotechnology at
Systems Analyst, Techno-Amish &     / the University of Helsinki, Finland,

File attachments NOT welcome unless agreed to beforehand.