[OpenAFS-devel] Re: AFS & IA-64?

chas williams chas@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Fri, 15 Mar 2002 07:13:29 -0500

In message <20020315.104012.70218265.haba@pdc.kth.se>,Harald Barth writes:
>probe a Linux system for the size of the pointers in the syscall
>table. Either it just happens to work because the sizes are right or

this is bit different on the ia64.  the kernel is built with a 'fixed
gp' and modules have a 'dynamic gp'.  the syscall table is a list of
pointers.  however, c routines turn out to be function descriptors
with a pointer and a gp.  so you need to have a stub that gets called
by syscall that can setup the modules gp and then call the c routine.
i have some code to do this in afs already but its not very pretty.
someone has sent me a better way to do it, but i havent gotten around
to making the changes.