[OpenAFS-devel] project for something with free time, autoconf and/or ddns experience

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Sat, 23 Mar 2002 08:57:39 -0600

Derrick J Brashear wrote:

> If you have some free time and have autoconf and/or ddns experience, I
> have a project in mind which (while not OpenAFS-specific) may help speed
> the adoption of AFS generally.
>
> The capsule summary is that there is already an AFS server which can
> safely export local filesystems read-only. It lacks autoconf support.
> Something else, which probably can and should be optional but which would
> really be a slam-dunk for this in some environments, would be DDNS
> support, namely, when the server starts, registers or updates an AFSDB
> record using DDNS, and undoes this when shutting down. That, however, is
> less important than autoconf support.
>
> The intent of this would be to put to rest arguments about "setting up an
> AFS server is too heavyweight for my needs, I just want to share some
> files". Combined with a client supporting AFSDB and dynroot/freelance, you
> have a simple readonly file sharing network.

Were you intending that this be integrated into the openafs build?

I looked at it a bit, and other than the kerberos dependencies, looks
like it should be fairly easy to merge into the build process and add
support for autoconf. Or do you mean for it to continue to require the
direct use of kerberos as it does now?

-- Nathan