[OpenAFS-devel] sparc64_linux24 build

Stephen Evanchik evanchsa@clarkson.edu
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 09:13:40 -0500

Hello everyone,=20

I just completed building OpenAFS 1.2.7 for sparc64 against the Aurora Li=
nux=20
distribution, which is based off of RedHat 7.3 i386.

There were a couple problems and I noticed some interesting behavior in t=
he=20
build system.=20

Aurora uses, by default, gcc 2.96 which will not compile the kernel modul=
e so=20
we must resort to using kgcc which is some egcs package. That's not a pro=
blem=20
because the kernel was also compiled with that (linux-2.4.19sparc64).

Here's how I configured the system:

CC=3Dkgcc ./configure --enable-redhat-buildsys  \
                    --enable-transarc-paths   \
                    --with-afs-sysname=3Dsparc64_linux24

then to build the system:

CC=3Dkgcc make

This is where it gets interesting. When the compilation gets to=20
src/libafs/Makefile it ignores the CC=3D . Instead of using kgcc, the Mak=
efile=20
that is generated for libafs insists on using sparc64-linux-gcc which is =
the=20
incorrect version (2.96). In order to complete the build:

1. Change BOTH CC=3D lines in src/libafs/Makefile to CC=3Dkgcc
2. In src/libafs run make. If make is run in the top level directory,=20
src/libafs/Makefile is regenerated with the incorrect compiler.
3. Once the kernel module is complete, run make in the top level director=

Here's another interesting point, it seems that further along in the buil=
d=20
process, the CC=3D directive is again ignored! I watched code compile usi=
ng=20
'cc' which is not kgcc.=20

I think that's everything.

Stephen Evanchik