[OpenAFS-devel] sparc64_linux24 build

Stephen Evanchik evanchsa@clarkson.edu
Mon, 4 Nov 2002 10:52:33 -0500

Simon,

On Monday 04 November 2002 05:41, Simon Richter wrote:
|  Stephen,
|
|  On Mon, Nov 04, 2002 at 09:13:40AM -0500, Stephen Evanchik wrote:
|  > then to build the system:
|  >
|  > CC=3Dkgcc make
|
|  Have you tried
|
|  make CC=3Dkgcc
|
|  The latter should override the setting from the Makefile, while normal=
ly
|  the Makefile has precedence over the environment.

Indeed it does, but you missed a subtle point in my first message:

CC=3Dkgcc ./configure --enable-redhat-buildsys  \
                    --enable-transarc-paths   \
                    --with-afs-sysname=3Dsparc64_linux24

yields:

checking for working makeinfo... found
checking for gcc... kgcc
checking whether the C compiler (kgcc  ) works... yes
checking whether the C compiler (kgcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no

while:

=2E/configure --enable-redhat-buildsys  \
            --enable-transarc-paths   \
            --with-afs-sysname=3Dsparc64_linux24

yields:

checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler (gcc  ) is a cross-compiler... no

with CC=3Dkgcc the configure script configures the system with the use of=
 kgcc=20
in mind. It is in error for it to use any other compiler along the way.=20

I didn't think to 'override' the Makefile's when I did CC=3Dkgcc make, I =
was=20
just being thorough about which compiler to use. After configuring the sy=
stem=20
to use kgcc, it should not have made any difference. Thanks for the remin=
der=20
about overriding the Makefile, I should have known better having built=20
packages for my system here.=20

Normally, I'd be inclined to patch things myself, but trolling through a =
build=20
system with 0 prior knowledge would be bad, things would break and possib=
ly=20
the world would end.=20

Stephen Evanchik