[OpenAFS-devel] Windows Loopback Adapter, revisited

Scott D. Williams sdw@email.unc.edu
Tue, 12 Nov 2002 12:14:34 -0500

Hello,
I've done some more testing with the loopback adapter. I now believe I was
on the wrong track with adding service dependencies to delay the start of
the afsd service.  Instead, reducing the functionality of the adapter to
bare the necessities looks more promising. Initial results are positive
with several XP and 2000 machines using the following procedure:

1. Install the Windows Loopback Adapter (included w/XP & 2000... NT4?)

2. Configure this adapter ( network control panel, right click->properties)
'General' tab:
	'Client for Microsoft Networks' 	off/UNchecked
	'File and Printer Sharing...'	off/UNchecked
	'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)'	on/checked

Select 'Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)', click on properties
'General' tab:
	choose 'Use the following IP address'
	enter:
		IP Address:  169.254.25.129
		Subnet mask: 255.255.0.0

	click on 'Advanced' button:
		'DNS' tab:
			UNcheck 'Register this connection's address in DNS'
		'WINS' tab
			UNcheck 'Enable LmHosts lookup'
			choose 'Enable NetBIOS over TCP/IP

Save these settings.

3. In the AFS Client control panel dialog
'Advanced' tab
	click on 'Miscellaneous'
	uncheck 'Automatic Lana scan'
	enter Lana number of Loopback adapter.

Restart... should be using loopback now.

Notes:
- The IP address I've given is the one Dhcp has chosen all the machines
I've worked on. Also, this is the address I've seen in newsgroups
discussing the loopback adapter. Still, no guarantee that it's available...
- I have not had to make any alterations to the
/system32/drivers/etc/hosts  file.
- No testing has been done on NT4

I have modified my copy of src/winnt/afsd/smb.c to select the loopback
adapter under 'Automatic Lana scan'.  I'd like to do a bit more testing --
and get some feedback - before posting the diff and/or considering
installer implications.

--Scott