[OpenAFS-devel] The Xserve saga ...

Valerio Luccio valerio@cns.nyu.edu
Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:58:18 -0400

As mentioned, thanks to a pointer by Tim Wood, I was able to get my
OpenAFS server on the Xserve to see the /vicepa partition. I wish that
everything else went smoothly, but alas ....

On the Mac OS, the afs disk is actually mounted on "/Network/afs" (with
a symlink from "/afs" to it). If I run as a client this works fine
mounting there my external cells, but if I run as a server on the
Xserve, this mount is never created (in other words, although the mount
command shows "AFS on /Network/afs" if you try to list "/Network/" it
tells you that "afs" does not exist). Does anyone have a clue where this
mounting is done in the code ? I'm currently digging through the source
code, but is a big task.

Thanks,

BTW: this could become a big issue, with Apple aggressively marketing
these Xserve's, especially in academia, more and more people will be
buying them (already there is such a demand that Apple cannot keep up).
I'm happy to be the guinea pig on this ....

--
Valerio Luccio                  (212) 998-8736
Center For Neural Science       4 Washington Place, Room 935

        "In an open world, who needs windows or gates?"