[OpenAFS-devel] Updated redhat workaround patch

David Thompson thomas@cs.wisc.edu
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 08:25:33 -0500

Derek Atkins wrote:
>Frank Bagehorn <FBA@zurich.ibm.com> writes:
>
>> I still would consider the missing symbols as a bug in the new kernel.
>> What would be the sense in leaving out kallsyms_symbol_to_address and
>> keeping kallsyms_address_to_symbol ?
>> It's very easy to add the export statements for the two missing functions
>> to .../linux/kernel/ksyms.c and re-compile the kernel, then everything
>> works again.
>> Without the need to fix RedHat's problems within the OpenAFS source
>> code...
>
>Yes, but that requires rebuilding the kernel which can be challenging
>on a large-scale deployment.

I think it's the other way around; I do large-scale deployment, and compiling
and installing a new kernel is a blip on the big picture.  I think it's the
little guy who is less likely to be able to handle the extra task(s).

And, yes, removing symbols like that in a maintenance kernel is pathetic; are
you listening, Red Hat?

Dave