[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

Michael Niksch nik@zurich.ibm.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 19:24:49 +0200

> What about adding a "-clone" option to vos dump...

I have been wondering for 12 years why AFS doesn't provide the ability
to create an additional clone separate from .backup and .readonly so
that I could do with that clone whatever I like, e.g. 'vos dump' it.

Some people seem to use explicit -rw mounts for their RW data to have
the ability to abuse the RO clone for such purposes. For instance,
frequent 'vos release' gives them the ability to keep an almost
up-to-date copy of their RW data on a remote server. Of course, they
could also do a 'vos dump' on the RO clone to copy their data to a safe
place. So why not rather have something like 'vos clone' that would
create a general-purpose .clone volume (or even vos clone [1..n]) to
create multiple clone generations)?

--
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ IBMCH
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     nik@zurich.ibm.com