[OpenAFS-devel] vos dump busying out the volume while dumping...

Michael Niksch nik@zurich.ibm.com
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 20:02:10 +0200

> I think that if you created it as a clone on the same partition, it
> would work fine, but whenever you move the parent volume, or move the
> clone, it would cease to be a clone.  I don't think anything actually
> cares if a clone exists, since it all does CopyOnWrite for all
> changes.

So would it be possible to do perform 'vos backup' and 'vos
addsite,release' on such a differently named clone and end up with 5
clones of the same clone (plus any dynamic clones during 'vos move' or
'vos copy'). Would it be possible to perform multiple 'vos copy' and
end up with an essentially unlimited number of clones? I guess there
must be something like a reference count for a vnode that can overflow,
at which point it will look as if it were zero and make your data
disappear altogether. At which number of clones would that happen - 8,
256, 64K ?

--
Michael Niksch                     /Zurich/IBM @ IBMCH
IBM Zurich Research Laboratory     nik@zurich.ibm.com