[OpenAFS-devel] Adding a "-readonly" option to file server?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 19:42:17 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 24 Oct 2002 Phil.Moore@morganstanley.com wrote:

> Since we use our own homegrown architecture for distributing changes
> to these volumes, and the updates are exclusively performed via vos
> restore, the option you are proposing would help us close a small hole
> that has bothered me for year -- namely, rogue users (the ones that
> think they understand the AFS volume structure well enough to do this)
> will sometimes hack a RW volume and then perform a manual vos release,
> bypassing the supported up[date mechanism.

What he's proposing shouldn't help you, IIRC. That's a volserver change
you want, and he's proposing fileserver changes. A change in the fssync
interface might be able to be made to do what you want...