[OpenAFS-devel] locks

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Mon, 28 Oct 2002 16:26:14 -0500

--On Monday, October 28, 2002 16:18:34 -0500 Nickolai Zeldovich
<kolya@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> This seems to be just some FreeBSD-specific thing, which lets you
> choose real locks (HEAVY_LOCKS) or fake locks (NULL_LOCKS) which
> assume that you have no concurrency whatsoever
They don't assume. They assert if there is concurrency. I found that
freebsd 4.x w/o smp seemed to not need locks, but because that's not likely
to stay true in 5.x, I chose to leave locking turned on. I forget if there
was a difference between using lockmgr locks and simple locks on freebsd.
(on darwin there is...)