[OpenAFS-devel] Vos create failure - I/O error

Mattias Amnefelt mattiasa@e.kth.se
Mon, 16 Sep 2002 18:56:16 +0200

On Thu, Sep 05, 2002 at 12:58:22PM +0200, Thomas Sesselmann wrote:
> Thomas Sesselmann wrote:
> >
> > Hi, I have this problem and found this old e-mail,
> > but not an answer :-/
> >
> > Have anyone solfe this problem ?
> >
> > When I want to create a volume i became this:
> >
> > --------------
> > some other facts:
> > ---------------------
>
> I have forgot somthing:
>
> The System is an True64 5.1a
>
> and the afs-version
> is an openafs-1.2.3 version
>
> The package i have found on this mailing list.
> Someone have change it to 51a (I haveonly the binary: alpa_dux-1.2.3)

This could be one of two issues that I know of.

A few times I have seen that the fileserver gets confused on dux if
the filesystem is created on a dirty disk. dd:in a couple of megabytes
of zeros to the beginning of the partition before creating a
filesystem for the vice-partition helps this.

The other issue is when using binaries compiled for tru64 5.0 or 5.0a
on a machine running 5.1 or higher. Since DEHPaq changed some of the
filessystem structures the module loads, but gives problems like this
afterwards.

Also, you really don't want to run 1.2.3 binaries since there are
servere security problems with anything before release 1.2.6.

I have put up a 1.2.6 compiled for tru64 5.1a at
/afs/e.kth.se/misc/info/ftp/pub/elektro/openafs/alpha_dux50_51a_1.2.6.tar.gz
or ftp://ftp.e.kth.se/pub/elektro/openafs/alpha_dux50_51a_1.2.6.tar.gz
if you prefer ftp.

/mattiasa