[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.7-rc4 installation on Jaguar notes

David Botsch dwb7@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 17 Sep 2002 17:14:31 -0400

I just went through the process of installing 1.2.7-rc4 on Jaguar. I
wanted to pass along things I noted so that they can be
discussed/corrected.

1. The kernel mod would not load to do an error in the properly list.
Specifically, the CFBundleVersion key had an illegal value -- 1.2.7-rc4
-- after fooling, I discovered that I had to changed this to 1.2.7b4 in
order for kextmod to accept it.
2. deciding on which way things need to go. In the package for OS X.1,
things went under /var/db/openafs while make install for 1.2.7-rc4 put
things under /usr/vice. Even though the startup script checks both
locations, this needs to be standardized. It would be a real pain for a
released package to put things in /var/db/openafs . . the result would
be eseentially two parallel installations of openafs and the one used
would be determined by which location the startup script checks first.
3. make install did not create /Network/afs and did not symlink /afs to
it
4. make install did not create /System/Library/StartupItems/OpenAFS and
did not put the script and properly list in this location. I had to
copy these manually and had to rename the rc file appropriately.
5. make install did not put the afsd binary in the proper location. It
was placed in /usr/local/sbin/afsd . . however, the install script
expects at least a symlink to be in /usr/vice/etc or /usr/sbin/afsd
(another point here of where the bianry is supposed to reside?)
6. make install should ask if this is a server or client. The bosserver
command was installed and would have started had I not removed the
binary.
7. /usr/vice/etc/config was not created
8. sample ThisCell, CellServDB, cacheinfo, config/afsd.options files
were not installed (the X.1 package did, at least, install these)
9. the pam modules were not compiled, at least in part due to looking
for "pam_appl.h" in the wrong location. It is in /usr/include/pam (no
security subdirectory). Also pam header location wrong in
afs_account.c, afs_session.c, afs_password.c, afs_pam_msg.c,
afs_message.c, afs_setcred.c, afs_auth.c, afs_util.c
10. line 139 of afs_password.c - - too few arguments to getpwnam_r . .
should either fix this or just use the above function of getpwnam(user)
... darwin is bsd-based, after all. Same problem in line 163 of
afs_setcred.c and on line 177 of afs_auth.c
11. afs_util.c: line 62 - conflicting types for sigvec - previous decl
in /usr/include/signal.h
12. The Makefile has no line to link and create the so for darwin
13. pam libs were not linked in with -l
14. After fixing the above, doing a "make" in src/pam still gives "ld:
Undefined symbols: _main" (using the bsd link line for darwin)

--
David William Botsch