[OpenAFS-devel] Adding an "estimate" function to vlserver

mho mho@mho.nu
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 15:51:48 +0200

In message <Pine.LNX.4.51.0304031617330.30731@saruman.ccmr.cornell.edu>, Mitch
Collinsworth writes:

>On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Love wrote:

>> Did you the overhead of file/directory-metadata stored in the dump (number
>> of files are stored in volintInfo.files)
>
>The inaccuracy I'm talking about here is just the difference observed
>between the size shown in vos examine and the actual true size of a
>vos dump.  Our estimator utility gets it exactly right every time, by
>looking at the actual metadata stored in the volume.

Can you estimate size of incremetal dumps, or just full ones?

Currently, I "estimate" by multiplying volume size with a constant
when guessing how much space an incremental will take... Obviously,
this is no good.

    - mho