[OpenAFS-devel] Adding an "estimate" function to vlserver

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Thu, 3 Apr 2003 16:20:59 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Love wrote:

> Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu> writes:
>
> > We could also just take the size from vos
> > examine, but some quick experiments with this showed inacuracies as
> > large as 4%, which we feel is unacceptable.
>
> In what direction was it wrong ?

Not consistent.  (!)

> Did you the overhead of file/directory-metadata stored in the dump (number
> of files are stored in volintInfo.files)

The inaccuracy I'm talking about here is just the difference observed
between the size shown in vos examine and the actual true size of a
vos dump.  Our estimator utility gets it exactly right every time, by
looking at the actual metadata stored in the volume.

-Mitch