[OpenAFS-devel] Adding an "estimate" function to vlserver

mho mho@mho.nu
Mon, 07 Apr 2003 20:07:10 +0200

In message <3E8DB983.6030202@gmavt.net>, Matt Bacchi writes:
>I'll chime in with the recommendation that this extra command be enabled
>only when building OpenAFS with Amanda support.  The normal AFS tape
>backup service doesn't need this functionality, backing up using the TSM
>(XBSA) enabled butc doesn't need this functionality, its only necessary
>for Amanda.  Therefore, wouldn't it make sense to enable it in the
>command suite when you specifically require Amanda support?

I disagree. This is extremely useful for everyone rolling their
own backup system, regardless of the specific backend, I think.
(For example, I'm vos dump:ing to a staging disk and archiving
with Veritas NetBackup. It would be as interesting to know how
many dumps the staging disk will hold even if using something
else to get the bits to tape.)

    - mho