[OpenAFS-devel] valgrind and openafs...

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
12 Apr 2003 16:07:55 -0500

Started looking at this... Needed to get some basic support added to
valgrind for some of the afs system calls (still working on some basic
ones). Looks like there is a ton of stuff in the user space applications
that it will complain about - a lot of use of unitialized memory. In
many cases, this appears to be places where the code assumes things will
be initialized to zero.

My end goal is to be able to run through the file/vol server with
valgrind. I still get segfaults running a current cvs head on a real
fileserver. On my test server with only a few volumes, I see no
problems.

Fileserver does appear to run fine w/ valgrind, but there's not much
point in doing that now, since there is a lot of overlap with the
vos/pts/etc. commands and the file server. Might as well target those
first.

I'm not sure how much changes I'll do just yet, really depends on how
soon the re-indent stuff is going to be done. If that is going to be a
while, I'll probably go ahead, but if that is soon, not much point in
making a lot of changes that will be annoying to merge with.

Valgrind will obviously only be usable on i386_linux*, but it should
help find a lot of issues that would affect all platforms.

-- Nathan