[OpenAFS-devel] memory cache size limits?

Edward Moy emoy@apple.com
Tue, 4 Feb 2003 16:22:33 -0800

On Tuesday, February 4, 2003, at 04:01  PM, Nathan Neulinger wrote:

> I haven't dug into this thoroughly, but I'm getting a kernel panic in
> afs_cachetrim on linux when I set mine above 45 MB. I know it fails at
> 75, and I think it fails at 55, haven't narrowed it down yet. Machine
> has tons of memory though.
>
> Will try to get more details tomorrow, but figured I'd ask in case
> anyone knew of anything special here.
>
> I'm runing with -stat 10000 -daemons 6 -volumes 256 -memcache
> -nosettime

I just started playing with memory caching myself under Mac OS X.  When
I tried to set it to 100000 KB, it froze.  But on a hunch, I used a
number divisible by the default 8K blocksize, 80000 KB in my case, it
worked fine.  You might give that a try.

The documentation is very careful to state that not all combinations of
settings will work, but they don't say that failing to set them
correctly will kill your system.
Edward Moy
Apple Computer, Inc.
emoy@apple.com

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)