[OpenAFS-devel] good and bad performance of memory cache

Edward Moy emoy@apple.com
Wed, 5 Feb 2003 17:35:50 -0800

On Wednesday, February 5, 2003, at 04:03  PM, Lyle Seaman wrote:

>> Lyle will probably chime in here, but my recollection is that memcache
>> is using an array-based implementation of the cache instead of an
>> hash;
>> thus searching is O(n) instead of O(log n).
>
> I'm not sure which hash you're referring to, but that doesn't sound
> right to
> me.
> There were some heuristics in the cache manager for filesize > cache
> size,
> perhaps they're only present in the disk cache code and not the mem
> cache code.
>
> I suspect that if you look at network traffic, or server statistics,
> you'll
> find that the server is being hit harder in the memcache case.  No?

I think the point is why would the server be being hit harder in the
memcache case?  Shouldn't the diskcache and memcache cases be accessing
the server in the same way when the filesize is larger than the cache
size?
Edward Moy
Apple Computer, Inc.
emoy@apple.com

(This message is from me as a reader of this list, and not a statement
from Apple.)