[OpenAFS-devel] Windows loopback sol'n: SetupAPI, devcon, loopback adapter

Dobes Vandermeer Dobes Vandermeer <dobes-dated-1047757177.44e003@dobesland.com>
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 11:41:37 -0800

A few months ago someone suggested you could use devcon.exe to
automatically configure a loopack adapter and remove the Windows
Networking component from it, etc.. As it happens, the Windows DDK
includes the source code for devcon.exe as an example of how to
configure devices using the setupAPI.  If anyone has the Windows XP DDK
or the new Windows DDK, they could use that sample source code to write
a tool that just does the exact task that we want; i.e. setup the
windows loopback with a given IP address.  This would be better, because
devcon.exe itself is not redistributable, but presumably you are allowed
to redistribute programs linked with SetupAPI.

This would be very useful!  I'd do it, but I dont have the DDK.

CU
Dobes