[OpenAFS-devel] AFS server on Mac OS X

Chaskiel M Grundman cg2v@andrew.cmu.edu
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 22:00:05 -0500

--On Monday, January 20, 2003 18:26:20 -0800 Edward Moy <emoy@apple.com>
wrote:

> When I try to replicate the root.afs and root.cell, it fails when I try
> to release and fails during salvaging.
So, I realized when reading your initial message that the current namei
fileserver can't actually work on Macos X with HFS filesytems, since the
"flipbase64" encoding it does to map volume ids and vnode/unique tuples to
filenames requires case sensitivity. That is, different numbers can map to
the same name if case is ignored. So, while I can't be sure that that this
is the cause of your current problem, it definitely will cause problems
eventually.

I therefore suggest you try using UFS at least in the short term, and
perhaps at some point someone will come up with an alternative namei
implimentation that doesn't have this restriction.