[OpenAFS-devel] CVS questions

Matthew A. Bacchi mbacchi@btv.ibm.com
Fri, 24 Jan 2003 14:31:05 -0500

I'm attempting to understand how you developers work with the codebase
for changes.  Specifically, because the HEAD doesn't compile, how do
you test certain parts of the code you are working on?  Do you
checkout the most recent stable version, for example tag
'openafs-stable-1_2_8a', and then do 'cvs update' until you get the
stuff in the HEAD you are working on?  If so, how do you know all the
changes for, say, large file support unless you were the one to write
them?  I'm interested in this because I want to try to help out if
possible.

Also, would be useful to have a standard method for command line help?
 I notice that some binaries take "-?" to provide command line help,
others complain about unrecognized arguments but suggest "-h" or
"-help".  If we had a common way of handling it, sorta like
cmd/cmd.c does for parsing command line arguments, then we could
eventually incorporate it into all sections of the code.

Thanks,
-Matt