[OpenAFS-devel] autoconf dislikes AIX install

Russ Allbery rra@stanford.edu
Sat, 05 Jul 2003 09:13:26 -0700

Matt Bacchi <mbacchi@gmavt.net> writes:

> autoconf has a default check for the system install, but it is
> apparently biased against the AIX version of install, as line 1063 of
> configure.in shows.  How do we want to handle this?  If we let it
> determine ${INSTALL} itself, it will drop out to the default install-sh
> script.  Is this sufficient?  I haven't tested building completely this
> way, but wanted to run it by you folks.

install-sh should be sufficient; that is, after all, its whole point.
(install-sh comes with the same set of tools as Autoconf, so it's designed
to do everything that Autoconf thinks install should do.)

> Also, if we use this method, ${INSTALL_DATA} becomes '${INSTALL} -m
> 644'.  In src/config/Makefile.config.in there is a variable INSTALLex
> that doesn't appear to be used as far as I can tell, but it is set to
> '${INSTALL} -m 755'.  What should we do with this?  Override
> INSTALL_DATA to set permissions to 755?

You should use INSTALL_PROGRAM to install programs and INSTALL_DATA to
install data files, not change INSTALL_DATA so that it works for programs.

See the Autoconf manual, under AC_PROG_INSTALL.