[OpenAFS-devel] 1.2.9: Pthreads and signals combination is broken.

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 8 May 2003 10:03:07 -0400 (EDT)

On Thu, 8 May 2003, Harald Barth wrote:

> > Clearly you found the calls. From your own diff:
> > +  AFS_SIGSET_CLEAR();
>
> Used in butc. Used for the rx server thread.
> Not used in the 1.2.9 fileserver.

Well, all but the periodic helpers are rx server threads. If you go back 2
(of my) messages you're see I said something like (the signals aren't
being blocked in the periodic helper threads)

> Is it used anywhere else? The AFS_SIGSET_CLEAR/AFS_SIGSET_RESTORE pair was

grep says no.

> Mattiasa pointed me to
>
> http://www.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/007904975/xrat/xsh_chap02.html#tag_03_02_03_02

Gee I wonder if he was reading Zephyr yesterday? ;-)

> Of the above mentioned calls, sigwait() is in fact the only one which
> I could see that EINTR makes some kind of sense (you waited for
> something else and then you got this strange signal), so I do not
> completely agree (but now it is a standard, dammit :-)

One way or another it's clear we need to and will deal for 1.2.10 (it's
also clear there will be a 1.2.10). Since kolya originally wrote the
softsig support we should see what input he has, and we'll go from there?