[OpenAFS-devel] Joinable PAG's

Garance A Drosihn drosih@rpi.edu
Sat, 17 May 2003 13:59:54 -0400

At 7:53 PM -0500 5/15/03, Nathan Neulinger wrote:
>Garance wrote:
>  > Note that if you did have join-able PAG's, it would not be
>>  based on the userid who first authenticated to it.  We have
>>  people who use a shared account for access to local (unix)
>  > files, and then klog to separate AFS user accounts.
>
>>  So, if you're going to have joinable PAG's, then you need to
>>  attach some password/authentication method which is specific
>>  to that PAG, and not related to any of the tokens which have
>  > been used in that PAG.
>
>Joinable pags is a purely administrative function, used by
>almost nobody right now except for a few esoteric system
>admin functions on select installations, certainly nothing
>in a normal install/setup.
>
>If that capability is objectionable (most people didn't even
>realize it was possible currently, and at that, only for
>root/suid=0 procs)

I expect there was supposed to be more said on that last
paragraph...

I'm one of the people who didn't know that openafs had any
support for joinable PAGs.  I mean, it was was obviously
possible to do at some technical level, for someone who was
root and who could do some low-level programming, but not
that there was some more visible user-interface for it.

I know there are situations where joinable PAGs might be
useful, but I wouldn't want it to open any subtle security
holes.  So, how can a process join an already-existing PAG,
and what authentication/authorization steps are there?