[OpenAFS-devel] patch submission process?

Jim Rees rees@umich.edu
Mon, 17 Nov 2003 14:58:46 -0500

  Is there an official patch submission process or patch format?

Speaking for myself, although I think Derrick will agree with most of this.

Probably the best way to submit patches is to send them here and also file a
bug report.  Sending them here guarantees that we'll see them.  Filing a bug
report guarantees that we won't forget them.

I don't like to commit a patch unless I am familiar with the code myself or
have independent confirmation that the patch is reasonable.  So especially
for Windows code, it helps a lot if someone else besides the submitter can
try the patch and let us know that it works and doesn't break anything.

As for format, "diff -u" is fine.  If you can use correct tabification that
helps tremendously.

I have your Windows patches from last Thursday right here.  I don't know if
Derrick committed them or not.  I see he removed that ..wow.3 file, whatever
that was.

Style reminder:  We do have an official style now.  I've got an older
version of gindent, and this is what I'm using:

gindent -nbad -bap -nbc -bbo -br -ce -cdw -brs -ncdb -cp1 -ncs \
  -di2 -ndj -nfc1 -nfca -hnl -i4 -lp -npcs -nprs -psl -sc -nsob -ts8 $i

If you have submitted a patch and we are ignoring you, please feel free to
contact me personally.