[OpenAFS-devel] Rx over TCP to solve some NAT & Firewall issues?

Ken Hornstein kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 12:56:42 -0500

>Note also that this is getting better over time, but the libc
>interfaces are still rather limited.  Show me a system with an fd_set
>that can handle 32k fds out of the box!  Show me one that can handle
>8k!  The max that I've seen is 4k, and even that required recompiling
>certain core pieces of the OS, because 1k was the default.

This actually doesn't seem to be a problem anymore.

Solaris has /dev/poll, the BSD's have kqueue, and Linux has something
else which I'm sure someone will remind me of.  The interfaces for
handling lots and lots of fd's seem to be there.

I think the proof of the pudding is in the eating; we won't know if the
performance is better until someone actually does it.

--Ken