[OpenAFS-devel] Rx over TCP to solve some NAT & Firewall issues?

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Thu, 20 Nov 2003 17:20:29 -0500 (EST)

On Thu, 20 Nov 2003, Dean Anderson wrote:

> If we were to make major RPC changes, I'd suggest that we try to move to
> DCE rpc, which is quite a lot smarter, and for which there are better
> security alternatives, such as SSL authentication. If only we can get the

SSL isn't authentication. The name even says so. DCE rpc is history, IMO,
and I'd be content for it to stay that way. Despite any previous and
future grumbling about sunrpc, it seems to at least have an active use
base.

> last DCE vendor to sign off on putting DCE under the GPL...  Of course,
> then we could think about moving to DFS, too.

> There are probably other RPC alternatives, even to the extent of using
> CORBA or something.  Getting RX more widely used, and in a separate
> distribution, may encourage performance enhancements that would benefit
> openafs.

Rx was in a separate distribution before there was an OpenAFS. Didn't
help.