[OpenAFS-devel] volserver hangs that never recover...

Nathan Neulinger nneul@umr.edu
Sat, 3 Apr 2004 15:30:03 -0600

Running with current cvs...

I still see these occasionally... only solution usually is to shut down
the file server completely, and kill -KILL the fileserver process -
because almost always it will hang while attempting to unmount a
particular volume (but never the same volume)...

I know there have been various discussions about it related to the
single threaded'ness of various operations related to the volser, but I
thought that several of these had been addressed.

Unfortunately, I don't really have any good diagnostics, other than that
when it's hung, it always seems to be waiting for I/O over a socket
to/from the file server. Killing volserver doesn't have any effect - it
winds up just being stuck in the same or similar state.

File server operations continue to work fine the whole time.

-- Nathan

UMR Information Technology             Fax: (573) 341-4216