ptproxy (was Re: [OpenAFS-devel] IBM public license code (from OpenAFS) in samba/examples/nss ok?)

Derrick J Brashear shadow@dementia.org
Fri, 27 Aug 2004 11:52:30 -0400 (EDT)

On Fri, 27 Aug 2004, Jeffrey Hutzelman wrote:

> However, since LWP is non-preemptive, your RPC processing must not block
> forever without letting other threads make progress.  There are two main ways
> to do this:

1) pthread your ptserver;-) the reasons for not doing this shouldn't exist
in your code; you aren't accessing the flat database.

[other suggestions, which i don't dispute in the slightest as correct, but
which are irrelevant if you pthread your ptserver, removed)

> Of course, if your goal is to support real AFS fileservers, then you do need
> to be relatively responsive.  Any time a fileserver makes a GetCPS call, some
> fileserver RPC is blocking waiting for that to complete.  If too many
> requests from the same fileserver are blocked at the same time, that
> fileserver will run out of worker threads, and even requests which can be
> satisfied without a call to the ptserver (which is most of them) will not be
> processed.

Yes, this was basically why I asked my question.