[OpenAFS-devel] File size limit exceeded

Mitch Collinsworth mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 12:01:37 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 11 Feb 2004, Raymond Wong wrote:

> The problem is that we can't create a >2GB dump file, not create a >2GB
> file in AFS.  We have a volume of 20GB and we can't dump it out.

Exactly what command are you using to perform the dump?  I assume from
the above wording that you're trying to do a vos dump and write it into
a directory that does not reside in AFS?

> > Upgrading to 1.2.11 will solve the quorum bug, but wont fix the
> > 2GB size limit.
>
> We have two AFS machines.  If the first AFS in Linux is upgraded to 1.2.11
> and the second AFS server in XP is upgraded to 1.2.10.  Does the quorum
> bug still exist?  Do the AFS volume still accessible using newer version
> of software.
>
> We are hesitated to upgrade to a higher version because we don't
> understand the quorum problem.  We have stored nearly 200GB
> enterprise files in the old version AFS and a proper migration process has
> to be carried out carefully.
>
> What is your suggestion in this migration?

You will probably get various suggestions here.  One that would work
is to shutdown the database servers on the XP system until you are
able to upgrade it.  You're not actually gaining much by running the
databases on both servers, since neither server will run without the
other being up.  (1 vote out of 2 does not make a quorum.)  If you
drop back to just 1 database server then at least that server can
run in the absence of the other.  (1 vote out of 1 does make a quorum.)

Also, if you drop back to 1 database server it will actually work now
without having to upgrade.  This is because the quorum bug only affects
cells with more than 1 database server.

-Mitch