[OpenAFS-devel] Re: setpag switch for afslog?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Mon, 23 Feb 2004 11:59:40 -0500

On Monday, February 23, 2004 10:36:27 -0600 "Douglas E. Engert"
<deengert@anl.gov> wrote:

> So the question to the AFS developers is:
>
>    Is the use of the ktc_SetToken(...,setpag) to set the PAG of a parent
>    going to continue to be supported in the future? Or should it be
> deprecated?

That "feature" is a horrible kludge.  It severely breaks a fundamental
abstraction (inheritance is one-way), and like Love, I'm not totally
convinced it's secure.  It should never have been there in the first place.
Speaking as an individual, I strongly encourage folks not to use this
functionality or write code that depends on it.

That said, a lot of people are depending on this, so I expect it will be
around for a while.

-- Jeff