[OpenAFS-devel] Re: setpag switch for afslog?

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 13:04:45 -0500

On Tuesday, February 24, 2004 10:19:28 -0600 "Douglas E. Engert"
<deengert@anl.gov> wrote:

> It the system supports PAM, it could address (1) and (4)
> The PAG could be obtained in PAM, as long as the PAM routine is called
> from a process that will become the user's shell, or one of its parents.
> (This is related to the privsep problems. You indicate below that it is
> fixed) And do to the way PAGs are implemented, it needs to be done after
> the groups are set by a daemon.

Uh, no it doesn't.  That's why we trap setgroups().

>> If it's only the GIDs, would it be possible for a daemon to exec some
>> kind of helper app, (something like klog -setpag, I guess), which
>> returns those GIDs on its stdout for the daemon to add to the user's
>> groups?

Yes and no.  Yes, it's only the GID's, but no, that's an implementation
detail and exposing it to something like ssh would be a significant
abstraction violation.  It also wouldn't work, since once you have a pag
you cannot change it by calling setgroups().

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer