[OpenAFS-devel] Re: [OpenAFS] offsite backup

Noel Burton-Krahn noel@bkbox.com
Thu, 22 Jan 2004 11:19:04 -0800

Sorry, maybe "stupid" was too strong.  Really, thanks for the help.

I've been pondering rsync.  However, this is going to be run under Windows.
So:
1. Installing rsync on the (Windows) client side could be a problem.
2. Automating AFS logon + rsync is going to be a problem
3. I've found that AFS directory stat() calls are fairly slow over the
network.  For example, doing a CVS checkout directly on an AFS drive is
about doubnle the time of doing CVS by SSH on the same directory.

I'm considering doing this as a web script that pumps out a ZIP file of
changed files my mtime instead, something like this, but in a VB program:

https://www.bkbox.com/backup.cgi?path=/afs/home/myuser&format=zip&mtime=jan1
2  | unzip

Then again, rsync is OK.  I'll let you know what works the best.

Thanks again for the help

--Noel