[OpenAFS-devel] Documentation UBIK

Jeffrey Hutzelman jhutz@cmu.edu
Tue, 08 Jun 2004 13:56:52 -0400

On Tuesday, June 08, 2004 19:06:35 +0200 Janek Neubert <janek.n@gmx.de>
wrote:

> I'm searching for some documentation about UBIK (WhitePapers, ..). Could
> you  help me please?
> What do I have to know about license questions about the protocol if I
> want to  implement it for another non-commercial project ?

Ubik was originally described by Mike Kazar in 1989:

ubik.ps: Ubik: Replicated Servers Made Easy
         Kazar, M.L.
         Proceedings of the Second IEEE Workshop on Workstation Operating
         Systems
         Sep. 1989, Pacific Grove, CA

I believe I can forward you a copy of that paper, if you are interested.
It is possible to implement a work-alike from Kazar's description, but I
wouldn't recommend it -- getting everything working right is a nontrivial
effort, and there is a lot we've learned over the course of AFS development
which is not reflected in the 1989 Kazar paper.

The Ubik impementation contained in OpenAFS is distributed under the IBM
Public License, version 1.0, just like the rest of OpenAFS.  You can use
the code under the terms of that license, which can be found at
http://www.openafs.org/dl/license10.html

   Sr. Research Systems Programmer