[OpenAFS-devel] what's "enable-redhat-buildsys" all about?

Matthew Miller mattdm@mattdm.org
Wed, 16 Jun 2004 17:53:43 -0400

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:23:33PM -0400, Christopher Allen Wing wrote:
> The way that the configure script is generally meant to be used is to
> compile OpenAFS, including a kernel module appropriate for the "current"
> kernel running on your machine. By default it assumes that the kernel
> headers in e.g. /usr/src/linux correspond to this one particular kernel.

This won't work anymore anyway -- the headers must be from
/lib/modules/[version]/build/.

> Red Hat's kernel headers are packaged in such a way that by specifying
> various options as #defines, you can generate kernel modules corresponding
> to all the different kernels that Red Hat ships. (e.g. SMP, non-SMP,
> "enterprise", etc.)

Which is now vastly simplified -- just cycle through various [version]s in
the above. There's gonna be some weirdness with smp, since the OpenAFS build
process apparently generates both uniprocessor and multiprocessor modules no
matter what. But that should be easy to work around.

> In order for it to work, you also have to create a file containing the
> #defines; see what the spec file does. You can't just run configue with
> --enable-redhat-buildsys and then run 'make'.

Yes, but I'm not convinced I want to. :)

I'm working on a 1.3.65+ (actually, today's snapshot) RPM for BU Linux,
which is based on Fedora Core 2. I'll post the spec file + links once I've
got it working satisfactorily.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@mattdm.org        <http://www.mattdm.org/>